Monday, May 19, 2008

Cheese Please

If there was such a term as a "cheese whore," I think I'd qualify. I have a friend who loves her cheese as well (she'll enjoy my ode to cheese in this blog).

What's not to like about cheese? Yes, it's fattening but it's loaded with calcium and there are low fat alternatives (and even soy alternatives for vegans).

I had my first cheese-tastic experience when I had the privilege of visiting the Cabot cheese tasting room in Vermont a few years ago. How could anyone not love horseradish jack or tomato and basil flavored cheeses? Vermont cheese boasts a sharp, yummy taste and I haven't found a cheese to outshine it (yet)!

I also am hooked on goat cheeses (both hard and soft) and I've been a lifelong fan of the fattening French brie. Brie and french bread--the most sinful of cheese/carb combinations.

I love cheese and crackers, cheese on its own, and hunks and chunks and blocks of cheese. Yes, I can hear your arteries hardening as I write. I love it melted, gooey and straight from the refrigerator.

I'm a huge fan of the buffalo mozzarella and fresh mozzarella. A caprese salad (basically fresh soft mozzarella, fresh basil and sliced tomatoes mixed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil) is my favorite summer salad.

Please feel free to comment and share your cheese recipes or "cheesey" experiences! Anyone for some dill havarti? Thanks. I'll take mine straight up.

2 comments:

greg said...

Hmm... cheese. I love it, but I'm super-moderate in my intake. If I eat any... it's the low-fat shit. But what the hell... I'm on a dang diet. A cheese whore is my kind of whore, though. There is so much to love about it/her, and so many angles it can take that every time you eat it/her, it can be like falling in love all over again with it/her. For me, the brits have it. Their country cheddars are in their own class. And don't get me started on The Huntsman.

whozyerdanny said...

Cheese whore? Yep thats me, I'll Take it all! Fresh Mozzarella, goats milk, Buffala, aged cheddar bringem' on! I age Friulan cheese (A semi soft fresh cows milk cheese from Friuli, Italy. I rub it with Extra virgin olive oil and Port wine then cover it in fresh ground black pepper, wrap it in cheese cloth then hang it in my cellar for 8 months to 1 yr. The result is an intense , spicy flavoured hard cheese with the crumbly consistancy of Parmiggiano reggiano. It takes long but the reward is great!