Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Scoop on Squash-Based Soups

I made delicious butternut squash soup this past week. It was the perfect compliment with this dreary northern California weather we've had lately. I told my chef friend about my soup masterpiece. After I told him about my creation (I was quite proud that I didn't use a recipe), he gave me a great tip for the next time I make butternut squash soup: add two tablespoons butter to the soup and let it melt into the soup (don't melt it before you add it to the soup). He says it gives it a silky, smooth texture. I knew there was a reason why I have chefs at my disposal. He also adds pureed potatoes to his soup (which I need to try next time).

My secret is in the spices - a dash of nutmeg and hints of cinnamon, allspice, ginger and just a hint of cloves (you can also throw in a dash of pumpkin pie spice which basically combines the spices above).

If you want a healthy creamy soup to warm up your palate during the rainy (or snowy) days, try your culinary hand at butternut squash soup.

No comments: